|For other uses, see Dear White People (disambiguation)|
Dear White People is an American television series which premiered April 28, 2017 on Netflix. It is an adaption of the original indie film of the same name. The series was renewed, a second season premiering on May 4, 2018 and a third season announced on June 21, 2018.
Set against the backdrop of a predominantly white Ivy League university where racial tensions bubble just below the surface, Dear White People is a hilarious send-up of "post-racial" America that weaves together the universal story of finding one’s own identity and forging a wholly unique path. The satirical series -- which picks up where the acclaimed 2014 film by the same name left off – follows a group of Winchester University’s students of color as they navigate a diverse landscape of social injustice, cultural bias, political correctness (or lack thereof) and sometimes misguided activism in the millennial age. Through an absurdist lens, Dear White People utilizes biting irony, self-deprecation and sometimes brutal honesty to hold up a mirror to the issues plaguing society today, all the while leading with laughter.
- For a full list of characters in the series, see here.
- For the complete list of crews for the series, see here.
- Logan Browning as Samantha White (Season 1-2)
- Brandon P. Bell as Troy Fairbanks (Season 1-2)
- DeRon Horton as Lionel Higgins (Season 1-2)
- Antoinette Robertson as Coco Conners (Season 1-2)
- Marque Richardson as Reggie Green (Season 1-2)
- John Patrick Amedori as Gabe Mitchell (Season 1-2)
- Ashley Blaine Featherson as Joelle Brooks (Season 1-2)
- Obba Babatundé as Dean Fairbanks (Season 1-2)
- D.J. Blickenstaff as Silvio (Season 1-2)
- Nia Jervier as Kelsey (Season 1-2)
- Jemar Michael as Al (Season 1-2)
- Wyatt Nash as Kurt Fletcher (Season 1-2)
- Jeremy Tardy as Rashid Bakr (Season 1-2)
Guest Starring Cast
- Nia Long as Nika Hobbs
- Ally Maki as Ikumi
- Lena Waithe as P. Ninny
- Tessa Thompson as Rikki Carter
- Tyler James Williams as Carson Rhodes
- Brandon Alter as George
- Wendy Raquel Robinson as Tina White
Each chapter features a specific character's point of view, with the exception of the finale and starts off with a narrated introduction, culminating in a title card with the central character. The chapters overlap storylines, with some beats of a previous storyline repeated from a different character's perspective than it was presented the first time. The episodes are narrated by Giancarlo Esposito.
- Justin Simien returned to write and direct several episodes of the series. Twenty 30-minute episodes have been available to stream on Netflix since April 28, 2017.
- The series was produced by Lionsgate, whose sister company Roadside Attractions released the original film in 2014.
- The series was written by Simien, who also directed the first episode. Devon Shepard (House of Lies, Weeds), Stephanie Allain Bray (Hustle & Flow) and Julia Lebedev (The Dinner) served as executive producers.
- The original film first gained traction in 2012 with a concept trailer, underwritten by director Simien’s tax refund. By 2014, the crowd funded movie made a splash at film festivals, earning the U.S. Dramatic Special Jury Award for Breakthrough Talent at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.
- Simien said,
"During the film’s release, I had the pleasure to speak with hundreds of students and faculty across a variety of college campuses dealing with these very issues in real time. I'm so grateful to have this platform – not only to give a voice to those too often unheard in our culture, but to also tell great stories from new points of views. From day one, Lionsgate has been remarkably supportive of the vision for the show, and working with Netflix is every bit as harmonious as I'd imagined it would be. Bringing this show to such a vibrant platform is an honor I don't take lightly"
|2017||Gotham Independent Film Awards||Breakthrough Series -- Long Form||Dear White People|| |||
|2019||NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Actress in a Comedy||Logan Browning|| |
|Outstanding Comedy Series||Dear White People|| |
|Dear White People|
|Volume One||Chapter I • Chapter II • Chapter III • Chapter IV • Chapter V • Chapter VI • Chapter VII • Chapter VIII • Chapter IX • Chapter X|
|Volume Two||Chapter I • Chapter II • Chapter III • Chapter IV • Chapter V • Chapter VI • Chapter VII • Chapter VIII • Chapter IX • Chapter X|
|Volume Three||3x01 • 3x02 • 3x03 • 3x04 • 3x05 • 3x06 • 3x07 • 3x08 • 3x09 • 3x10|